Sunday 26 August 2012

So painful

I have just paid for my 2012/13 boat license. With prompt payment rate this is a cost of £710.24  Add that to the recent mooring payment of just over £1200 means it is costing us just short of £2,000 to float my boat in a muddy  (our moorings are very muddy) ditch..... and I mow my own grass and maintain my own mooring.

Of course my wife working in the NHS has had a 0% pay rise for the last two years and I have had 1%  CaRT tell me they have increased my license fee by 6.4% and will increase it by 2% more than inflation for the next three years. That is no small increase. If I were a saver or retired my savings would be attracting diddly squat.

It makes me wonder how folks maintain their boats on the cut all in. It really is a dedication to the waterways. I'm sure there are some big sacrifices folk make to keep on enjoying the canals and rivers so CaRT better prioritise the infrastructure in their spending plans as I feel I am doing more than my bit and am a super contributor as well as a friend.


1 comment:

Les Biggs said...

Nev
I do sympathize. Thing to remember is you get sod all interest on your savings and you can`t take it with you. So better to spend it on the boat license and not council tax etc. We find the boat license gives excellent value,lowers stress levels instantly. Money spent in the house i found always carried a stress level.
Glad i left bricks and mortar life is so less complicated.
Les