Thursday 25 June 2009

The longest day.....

Well for this trip and for a while. We set off from the bottom of Stockton Heath locks this morning at 6.15 am and a boat had already passed us.

The plan is to get to Burston on the Trent & Mersey - the Greyhound pub to meet up with our next crew mate, Rachele's dad. He likes to get aboard so a short two day cruise back to Fradley will be his part of the trip.

We left Leek 'basin' yesterday and took a beautiful cruise down the Leek branch of the Caldon - it is to be recommended and we will certainly cruise this route again. I'd like two weeks to allow shorter cruising days and also get to froghall - we have been there before but the Churnett valley is beautiful.

Leek end of navigation was a little of an anti climax - Leek certainly does not embrace the canal . There was moorings for about 5 boats and I expertly reversed Waterlily into the only spare space - when we left there was space for three boats. It was very quite and peaceful on the moorings and Leek town centre can be walked in about 15 - 20 minutes.

I'll post some photo's when I get back but for now I'd better take my turn on the tiller. I was going to say we are approaching the less nice parts of the Caldon as it goes into Stoke - but as posted before this part of the canal is much improved and I think the locals are doing their bit to keep it clean.

Nev

O a persona PS - both my sons passed their driving tests this week - one day apart - I am really proud

No comments: