Thursday 24 April 2008

Unexpected blast.....

As I arrived home last night my next door neighbour was doing the same and suggested it was a fine evening for a ride out on the bikes (Motorbikes that is) So as he had not seen my boat we decided a run to Fradley was in order.

We went via Ashbourne and the A515. He had new tyres on his bike so we took it relatively slowly (Ha) It was a fine run. When we got to Fradley Junction the pound above Hunts lock was about half full and emptying. Some prat had left the bottom gates open and not fully shut the top paddles. In fact they had left the lock in as bigger mess as you might imagine, gates open and paddles up, just thoughtless and dangerous for the fish in the pound above the lock. We sorted it with the help of another boater on the moorings.

A faster blast back down the A38 saw a new record of boat to house set........

These unexpected visits are great - we had a coffee on the boat and a walk up to the Swan - no beer as we were on the bikes. Fradley was superb, just as I like it, all the excitement of the day lost and a few gongoozlers left, people drinking at the pub tables and a few boats on the moorings cooking their tea. (I still have breakfast, dinner and tea) All in all a very tranquil and relaxed scene, only problem was I had to leave the boat. No Problem as I intend to commute from the boat a few times over the summer to enable me to drink in the atmosphere of a Fradley Junction evening........

So, just need a summer now?

Nev

No comments: